Call for Submissions
CUFF has two annual submission deadlines. One is for the Calgary Underground Film Festival, which takes place each April, the other is for CUFF.Docs: Documentary Film Festival, which takes place each November. Submissions for both festivals are now closed on FilmFreeway.
21st Calgary Underground Film Festival
April 18-28, 2024
CUFF is Western Canada's premiere genre festival, and one of Calgary’s most anticipated events for film fans. Recently, CUFF has been named one of The Best Horror Festivals in the World, 2022 by Dread Central, and in 2023 and 2021 was selected as one of the World’s 50 Best Genre Festivals and one of 50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee by MovieMaker Magazine.
Founded in 2003, CUFF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to programming films that defy convention. Through the screening of contemporary works in various categories that include: feature, documentary, animation and shorts – we bring Calgarians a unique roster of films rarely seen in North American theatres. We actively look to showcase titles in all genres, from horror, sci-fi and fantasy to comedies, thrillers and music-related films. In addition to finding great films we are committed to introducing you to the people behind the lens, by showcasing local and international indie filmmakers. We are proud to contribute to Calgary's thriving arts community and are thrilled to bring innovative and challenging selections to all film enthusiasts.
DATES AND DEADLINES
Opening Date: July 3, 2023
Regular Deadline: February 5, 2024 – Submissions are now closed
Notification Date : March 18, 2024
Event Date : April 18-28, 2024
1) Features films: must be a Calgary premiere, and not have screened in theatre, local festival or Canadian broadcast before our dates.
2) Short films: Priority is given to films which have not yet screened in Calgary.
3) We do not program films which were finished prior to last year's festival.
4) Films must not have been released on VOD or available to Canadian audiences.
5) If you change your screener link or password, and do not notify us on your own, it could end up not being seen. We do our best to follow up, but can not always do so.
*If your film screened at festivals prior to April 2022 we do not recommend applying.
Feature Films: $40
Canadian Features: $15
International Shorts: $20
Canadian Shorts: $10
*Free for alumni and Alberta filmmakers. Please email us for a waiver code if you meet either of these criteria.
Regular Submissions are now closed
Please contact us if you have any questions: email@example.com